To facilitate the development of nature tourism in border regions of Latvia and Lithuania, by improving infrastructure and tourism products, i.a. adapting them to people with disabilities.
PROJECT IMPLEMENTATION PERIOD
1 May 2017 – 30 April 2019
1 176 867,14 EUR (including funding of the European Regional Development Fund 1 000 337,07 EUR)
Kurzeme plannning region, www.kurzemesregions.lv ;
Directorate of Aukstaitija National Park and Labanoras Regional Park, www.anp.lt
Directorate of Biržai Regional Park, www.birzuparkas.lt
Durbe County Municipality, www.durbe.lv
Administration of Kretinga District Municipality, www.kretinga.lt
Kuldīga County Municipality, www.kuldiga.lv
Roja County Municipality, www.roja.lv
Saldus County Municipality, www.saldus.lv
Skrunda County Municipality, www.skrunda.lv
Ventspils County Municipality, www.ventspilsnovads.lv
Directorate of Žemaitija National Park, www.zemaitijosnp.lt
1. new tourism products and improvement of existing by promoting them and making them more accessible for all travellers;
2. appropriate marketing activities promoting project territory as a single destination for diverse nature experience (guides, maps, web);
3. management of nature objects (investments (3 watching towers, 7 pontoon piers, 19 info stands, 1 parking lot, 3 resting areas, 6 walking trails equipped with various edutainment elements) in 10 nature territories, incl. 5 within NATURA 2000 and near them);
4. paying attention to products for people with disabilities (infrastructure improvements as well as info in Braille and audio solutions);
5. supporting local business and development of qualitative environment for living and work of different social groups, incl. with disabilities.The uniqueness of the project is to develop the accessibility to nature objects for travellers with disabilities.
The project Directorate of Zematija national park will aim to establish:
- reconstraction of Plateliai lake viewing platform (1), information stands (9) in Braille script and other stands installation (9 units), visitor counter (1);
- organization of Conference about tourism sector’s adaptation for disabled people (1)
- preparation of trail maps (4), leaflets (1) and souvenirs (postcards)
- Tour guide trainings (2)
- Experience exchange visit to Finland, participation in project events
LINKS TO ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
Latvia – Lithuania Cooperation Programme webpage www.latlit.eu
* The Project description has been produced with the financial assistance of the European Union. The contents of the description are the sole responsibility of Directorate of Zemaitija national park and can under no circumstances be regarded as reflecting the position of the European Union.
Activities implemented (information is constantly updated):
- The project partners (34 participants) 5 day trip to Finland. Best Finnish practice visit. During the trip were visited Finnish National Parks, Reservates and other tourist facilities are adapted for people with disabilities. Date: on 21-25 of August, 2017
- Plateliai Lake Viewing Platform repairing works started. Date: from 1st of August, 2017 till the end of February, 2018
- An international conference “Accessible Nature Tourism”. Date: 2017 October 19-20
- Participated in the project management meeting in Usma on 8-9th of November, 2017
- Plateliai Lake viewing platform repairing works have been completed and information stands have been built, one of which is tactile, adapted for people with visual impairments.
- Visitor counter was built near the Platel Lake viewing platform to assess the traffic of visitors who are interested in sightseeing sites and this particular Plateliai Lake viewing platform.
- Participated in a study trip for project partners and tourism specialists to the Kurzeme region, in Latvia on 10-11 th of May, 2018, during which the possibilities of adapting tourism services and infrastructure for the disabled were introduced.
- Participated in the project management meeting in Aukštaitija National Park on 17-18th of May, 2018.
- Organized guided training courses for 15 people who have been issued with a certificate that allows them to practice.
- A workshop was organized to provide the knowledge and skills needed to communicate with people with physical and visual impairments providing services in tourism sector. Excursions for people with visual and mobility disabilities have also been organized.
- Participated in the project management meeting in Biržai Regional Park 25-26th of October, 2018.
- Prepared tactile postcards in Braille and standard scripts. Tactile view conveying has been driven by embarrassing press technology, understood by people with visual impairments, and helps the person concerned to better understand the real picture.
- Arranged the project management meeting in Žemaitija National Park on 11-12th of April, 2019.
- Prepared the leaflets and maps of cognitive trails in the Žemaitija National Park. Part of leaflets and maps are tactile with Braille and standard scripts. Tactile image was based on the eminent press technology understood by people with visual disabilities.
Lecturers presentation from the Conference “Accessible Nature Tourism”, which was organised on 19-20th of October:
1. Leena Kuosmanen, Laurea University, Finland – “How Accessibility can Enhance Tourism? Visitor-Friendly and Barrier-Free Service Environments for Customers with Special Needs”;
2. Maris Ceirulis, Liepaja Society of Blind, Latvia – “Universal Design Principles, Latvia Case”;
3. Ginta Žemaitaitytė, Lithuania Association People with Disability, Lithuania – “Accessible Tourism For All – Are We Ready?”;
4. Riikka Mansikkaviita, Metsähallitus, Parks & Wildlife Finland, Finland – “Everyone outdoors”.